Carte D'or Salted Caramel

walls ice cream

When I saw this new Carte D'or flavour from Wall's I couldn't resist giving it a try. I love all things caramel flavoured, but salted caramel can either be really delicious or really weird, depending on how it's done. Luckily Wall's got it right!

I found this tub on special offer in Morrisons for £1.75. It's described as "salted caramel flavour ice cream with caramel pieces (8%)" and contains no artificial flavours.

Opening the lid it smelled more like butterscotch than caramel to me. I scooped out a few portions into a bowl.

walls ice cream

It tasted creamy and delicious, as I expected. I was waiting for the salted caramel flavour to become apparent, but it tasted more like butterscotch. It was very tasty and moreish, and the caramel pieces made it even more so because they added a lovely chewy, fudgey bite to the icecream. After a while it hit me that it did actually have a slightly salty taste, which was difficult to detect initially. The flavour is very subtle and well done, but I maintain that it tastes more of butterscotch than salted caramel. It hardly matters though because it's delicious regardless.

Overall, this is a tasty new flavour from Carte D'or which I'm sure fans of toffee or caramel icecream will enjoy. The flavour isn't too salty or off-putting so if you don't like salted caramel then chances are you'll still enjoy this. It's very addictive and I'll definitely be buying it again. I think it could be improved even more with some actual caramel swirled in.

Price: £1.75 for 900ml at Morrisons, £2 at Tesco.
Nutritional/ingredients: Contains milk, whey solids, condensed milk. May contain nut traces. 

On the subject of Carte D'or does anyone else remember the coconut flavour Wall's used to make? It was one of their best flavours in my opinion; it was so creamy and luxurious and had an amazing coconut taste. I haven't seen it in years so assume it must have been discontinued. I'm seriously considering bombarding Wall's with requests for it's return!

Here is a pic (image courtesy of iceshop.co.uk):
If anyone else remember this flavour please let me know in the comments!

Comments

  1. Wow, sounds so nice. The only new Carte d'Or flavours I've seen this year were Creme Brulee and Panna Cotta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we get Panna Cotta here too, not sure about Creme Brulee. Do you mean the one with a liquid centres?

      Delete
    2. I don't know what's inside, I haven't tried it yet, though I plan to do that this year. There are two versions, a big one and a small one. Panna Cotta looks something like this.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the links Ana, they both look amazing! I hope they get released in the UK, all we get currently is this: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/ice_cream/walls_carte_dor_signature_creme_brulee_450ml.html which I'm not really a fan of!

      Delete
  2. Aw I was really hoping that this was going to be really nice and salty :( shame its just butterscotch flavour; i think ill end up giving this a miss then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong it's *slightly* salty, just not enough to be called a true salted caramel flavour in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. This looks great, shame it's not more salty though!

    I definitely remember the Noix de Coco, in fact I'm sure I had a tub in the freezer last year. It had a gorgeous coconut flavour. I didn't even realise it wasn't available anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow really? I haven't seen it in years but then I wasn't really looking I suppose. I had a look on mysupermarket and although they have the coconut flavour listed, it says it's not available at any of the main supermarkets. I might have to contact Wall's!

      Delete
    2. The coconut flavour was incredible! So creamy and tasty. Such a shame they dont still produce it - someone definitely needs to get into Walls' ear about this!

      Delete
  4. Carte D'Or is a good price and it's pretty decent stuff too. I don't remember the coconut one but I NEED it in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I love coconut ice cream and find it very hard to find one, I remember this and thought I was going mad because my family kept saying I was imagining it, as I could not find it again to purchase, please, please, bombard Walls. Thank You.

      Delete
  6. We tried the salted caramel tonight, I thought it was okay, but cant understand why salted caramel did someone add salt instead of sugar etc to the mix by mistake & this there way of passing it off as a 'new flavour' I won't be buying it again,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the salted caramel last night, it had different packaging and was more of a plain ice cream, with "salted caramel sauce" I was very disappointed and the texture was more like a foam than a cream.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review