Cadbury Roses with new Coffee & Truffle chocolates! - Review/Rant


That's it. I've decided that most of the chocolates and sweets I have fond nostalgic memories of as a kid are now rubbish. Quality Street are too sweet these days, so is Terry's Chocolate Orange...and even Cadbury's, who you could once rely on for good quality products have now made their Roses selection rubbish too!

I'd heard lots of murmurs in comments sections online about them being poor quality nowadays, but didn't pay them any mind. Not until I bought a box recently to see what the new coffee chocolates would taste like...


Prior to this I hadn't eaten Roses for years, since I was a kid infact. Back then we always used to have a tin of Quality Street at Christmas, and I viewed Roses as more luxury in comparison, since Cadbury's chocolate has always tasted better than Nestlé's. Well not any more! They're dire now. They taste like a cheap supermarket brand of chocolates with unimaginative varieties coated in cheap, overly sweet chocolate.

Below are my thoughts on each variety from the latest incarnation of Roses:

Brazillian Darkness:
This one had a dark chocolate coating and so wasn't quite as sickly sweet as the other chocolates in the selection. It contains a hard toffee centre with little pieces of brazil nut. It tasted nice in comparison to the other chocolates, but was a little bland.

Brazillian Darkness
Signature Truffle (new!):
A bland tasting chocolate with a plain truffle filling - this one is obviously meant as a "filler" chocolate.

Signature Truffle
Coffee Escape (new!):
The main reason I bought these Roses is because I'd heard Cadbury were re-introducing a coffee chocolate, but wasn't sure if it would be the coffee cream one they used to do. Alas...it's just a coffee-flavoured chocolate truffle! It tasted okay, but didn't have a very strong coffee flavour.

Coffee Escape
Country Fudge:
I liked the texture of this one, but it was far too sweet and without any real fudge flavour. It didn't even taste as good as the Cadbury Fudge sticks you can get for 20p, which surprised me. In comparison, the fudges in Quality Street taste much nicer.

Country Fudge
Caramel:
This was a bland tasting and overly sweet toffee. I'm not sure why it's called caramel because it's simply a hard toffee. Caramel is supposed to be soft!

Caramel
Hazel Whirl:
This contains a hazelnut encased in milk chocolate. It tasted rather bland - the hazelnut wasn't very fresh and didn't really provide much flavour.

Hazel Whirl
Hazel in Caramel:
This is similar to the "Purple One" in Quality Street, but tastes much inferior. The caramel is overly sweet and bland and the hazelnut didn't taste very fresh or crunchy.

Hazel in Caramel
Golden Barrel:
This one was okay...it was extremely sweet, but I could just about detect a buttery taste of caramel underneath all the sweetness. I remember these tasting much nicer when I tried them as a kid.

Golden Barrel
Strawberry Dream:
Being a fan of the strawberry cremes in Quality Street I was excited to try this...but it tasted very bland. It was overly sweet and didn't have a very strong strawberry flavour.

Strawberry Dream
Tangy Orange Creme:
This had a nice tang of orange, but like the strawberry dream it was overly sweet which ruined the overall flavour.

Tangy Orange Creme
Overall:
Dear oh dear...Roses have deteriorated a lot since I was a kid. Whilst this is true of most chocolates from childhood, it's even more obvious with Cadbury Roses. The quality of the actual chocolate is dire, which is bizarre because when I was a kid Roses were perceived as special chocolates, something you would give as a gift on birthdays or at Christmas...not cheap rubbish crammed full of as much sugar and fat as possible! They just have no value any more, they're the sort of thing a stingy boss buys for their office at Christmas.

Sort it out Cadbury! If this carries on people will stop buying them, no matter how low in price they get each year...

Price: I paid £2 for a 350g box at Asda. Usually about £3.
Suitable for vegetarians?: Yes.
Allergy Information: Contains milk, nuts & soya.
Nutrition Information (per 100g): 535 Calories, 31.5g Fat, 56g Sugars.

RATING: 4 out of 10. 

Do you think Cadbury Roses have gone downhill in quality? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

Comments

  1. Great review, love the fact you tried all of them. I have heard that Roses are doing just creme boxes this year which I may pick up instead of the full monty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cream only - brill makes up for the rubbish ones

      Delete
    2. cream only - brill makes up for the rubbish ones

      Delete
  2. Over the past few years I've found Cadbury's seeming sweeter and sweeter - it's at the point now where I'll avoid them entirely. I was very disappointed when the Coffee Cream got removed, so I was interested to see a variation return. It's a shame that the quality of chocolate and poor execution makes these a 'miss' for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the new roses are horrible - the chocolate tastes cheap and the new flavours are vile I actually now only like 50% of the selection so will not be purchasing again euughgh !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually really surprised at this review! I was expecting you to have preference over Cadbury's Roses rather than Nestle's Quality Street! But I guess I'm just a Cadbury fan, looking forward to tasting the new Roses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They surprised me too...I used to love anything by Cadbury but recently their quality has gone a bit downhill! They should use Dairy Milk to coat Roses with then maybe they'd be nicer!

      Delete
    2. It all seems to have gone downhill since they introduced palm oil to the mix.
      I fear the old days will never return.

      Delete
    3. I was a huge fan of roses once. In recent years since taken over by American company the quality has nose dived along with size of tins which I always purchased for christmas.I haven't purchased tins last year as was disgusted by size of tin but this year has gone even smaller. I do not purchase Cadbury anymore in protest to what has happened to once my favourite brand but sadly a love lost when new company took over.

      Delete
  5. they are dreadful bland and dull

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite agree .... Get a grip Cadburys !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrible sweets ,they have been slowly reducing the size of the toffee sweets and have now destroyed the taste. Remember Double Centre's? they were a proper Christmas sweet in the 70's & 80's. Nestle then ruined them which is the way Cadburys are going with Roses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with the majority on here, since that American company took over Cadbury all their chocolates have gone down in my opinion. I used to always get a large bar of chocolate for my birthday and Christmas every year. I was so glad that noone bought me on this year, Cadbury chocolate seems to be going the way of American chocolate now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yuck Yuck Yuck I will not be getting these again I always use to prefer Roses to Quality Street not anymore they are overly sweet and have gone overboard with the toffee/caramel

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only reason I am on the internet looking up Roses is that the tin I got came without a selection card and after my 3rd toffee I began to think that was the only flavour. Roses not the sweets I remember from my childhood and the quality is dreadful several sweets were already out of their wrappers Heros for me next time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not alone in thinking Roses have gone downhill. I just hope Cadbury's are reading and taking notes. It would be great if they could revert Roses back to their former glory!

      Delete
  11. I agree less in the tin all taste much the same where is the brazil nut chocolate.A lack of nuts in them .I won.t buy again

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cadbury chocolates, right from my childhood. I regularly get it from chocolate butons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A change for the worse all round. Flavours all seem overly sickly, the strawberry cream very chemical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This all may be so...however I am finding as I get older the things I used to love as a kid are less appealing anyway...just because my taste has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a shame, I used to love roses but I don't recognise them anymore as they have changed so much and are constantly changing. Quality street gets my vote now as there is more variety and they are, apart from a few changes over the years, still as I remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please bring back coffee creams i know lots of people that love them and can't find them anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi do a chocolate assortment similar to Roses that contain coffee creams :) Also Sainsbury's, Waitrose and M&S do their own assortments...not sure if they have coffee creams in though.

      Delete
  17. Thorough review, thanks.
    I got cheesed off with Roses two years ago and for the first time since 1999 did not buy a tin last Xmas.
    This Xmas I cant buy a tin even if I want to because now they are sold in a plastic container.
    Cadburys what a bunch of wallies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I much prefer Quality Street now although they aren't much better either. I've seen that Sainsbury's and Waitrose do there own versions now...wonder if they're any good?

      Delete
  18. I agree. These are not very good quality sweets, they are the sort i would expect to find on sale in third world country or america, who are also not very good with sweets. I only found this blog because i just bought a box in asda and thought how poor they were, i was going to contact them but thought i'd check on line to see if i was the only person who thought so. Apparently i'm not. But the thing that really shows poor quality is the wrapper, which no one has mentioned. Hasn't anyone spotted that they are barely wrapped up, in that the twist is not even or completed and skewed on the sweet.This would suggest that they are being assembled in perhaps delhi or some war torn country who pays peanuts to their staff.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bland. Gone are the distinct flavours and chocs. I won't be buying Roses again. If the Americans are determined to destroy Cadburys they are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OhMyGosh what has Cadbury done, just got a box of Roses as a Christmas present, being a fan since I was young, thought oh new chocolate in the roses, hmm try it let's see... Will not be buying, and any presents i receive will be going to someone else as these are just not the same, New chocolate truffle... Was bland and tastes too sweet, the Blue one (caramel) as it's called used to be coconut, these were my favourite, not anymore, they were just hard caramel like toffee... Strawberry Dream, and Orange Creme were always the best in my opinion, however, they are far too sweet now for my liking and the chocolate just kills the flavour of the centres. Even the wrappers are cheap paper :/ I even had a chocolate at the bottom not even wrapped, and there was not spare paper so you can't say it fell out... They're just not the same anymore, and it's a shame as the whole of my family used to sit around the fire at Christmas or on birthdays and open a tin of roses and share them around enjoying every bit, but now that tradition is out of the window :( disappointed

    ReplyDelete
  21. We received a box this Christmas, it's the first time I'd had Roses for a while, and they are truly rubbish. They're still sitting on the coffee table today waiting for someone to eat them, which in our house says an awful lot! It all comes down to cost unfortunately, they now taste cheap and nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they get worse every year..even Quality Street are rubbish now too!

      Delete
  22. I'm surprised at this review. I used to enjoy Cadbury's Roses, but have stayed away from them this past decade because there were too many overly sweet creams in them. Was given a box as a gift recently, and was thoroughly impressed. They weren't anywhere near as sickly sweet as I remember, and the new Coffee Escape was simply delicious. Truffles over creams any day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We were given a various boxes of chocolates by patients and the Roses one is standing, the others are being opened and polished off, maybe when there is nothing else to eat, the Roses might be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm going with the majority here, Cadbury's Roses are bleedin' 'orrible these days!

    Boring, bland flavours, too sweet and even the packaging looks cheap.

    Mind you, 'Quantity' Street are no better. Some of the older selection flavours were so much more palatable! I particularly liked the chocolate peanut and hazelnut cracknells.

    Even surviving variants from both selections are poor imitations of their former selves.

    While it may appear as trivial to some I'd love to see a return to old flavours and levels of quality, so much so that I'm going to contact both Cadbury and Nestlé to see if they'd consider a return to confectionery which is actually pleasant to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think that your rating was 'Over' generous. I bought them this year because of the return of the coffee flavour and that, was very disappointing. Every flavour is totally muted by overwhelming sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  26. yes
    the sweets are a cheap version of the original-all bland -no more at Christmas for us end of a tradition sadly

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have to agree with nearly all the comments about Cadbury's. They've slowly destroyed the quality of their chocolate(s)over the years. Their milk chocolate contains only 20-23% cocoa which is absolute crap, and the cheap centres for Roses and all the other chocolates they make is a disgrace. The size of the multipack FLAKE bars have shrunk & shrunk - I boycott Cadbury's all together now. Never forgave them when they bought out Fry's - years ago. Another range of products they've slowly murdered. I always buy German chocolate when ever I can, brilliant quality and half the price of the rubbish here in the U.K. No wonder so many suppliers are sourcing their products from Germany - fine example Bendick's of Mayfair Mints. Used to be U.K. manufactured, now made in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Watch and Download world's famous drama series Kurulus Osman in English on link below
    👇
    Kurulus Osman in English

    📢Get high quality backlinks for your
    Website with BacklinksIndexer
    BacklinksIndexer

    Crypto trading online course
    Join on link below
    Crypto quantum leap

    📒 Read Home doctor book online
    Then you will be a doctor for your family
    Home Doctor Book

    Join online YouTube course
    And be a professional YouTuber
    Tube Mastery and Monetization by matt

    Steel Bite Pro
    Best product for
    Teeth pain, cavities,teeth whitening and other oral health issues with money back guarantee
    🦷
    Steel Bite Pro

    ReplyDelete
  29. My all time favourite was from the 1970's. Cadbury Roses 'Rose Cream' It was wrapped in rose covered tin foil. They were a rare find. I do miss the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've done the Nutbush, but the Nutbush flavoured Roses are good

    ReplyDelete
  31. Maybe I am the only one but I love everything from Cadbury! Better than Tesco. Recently, I noticed the 444 meaning from God on the clocks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review