Sunpat Choc-a-Nut: Chocolate Peanut Spread Review


Being a longtime fan of peanut butter I've always hoped that some company would make one with chocolate in. There was a glimmer of hope when Whole Earth did peanut butter with chocolate chips a few years ago (see review here by Foodstuff Finds), but I haven't been able to find it since.

So when I spotted this new Sunpat "Choc-a-Nut" spread in Asda I was very excited...I thought my wish for a chocolate and peanut butter spread had finally come true! Alas, turns out it had only half come true. This isn't peanut butter infused with chocolate, but rather a smooth peanut butter paste with added cocoa powder and vegetable oil to make it more spreadable.


It tasted good - very rich, nutty and smooth in texture, and pretty much like someone had combined smooth peanut butter with chocolate spread. But it lacks something. I think the problem is that it uses cocoa powder for the chocolate flavour, giving it a strong cocoa taste but not much creaminess. It's a good attempt but I wish they'd mixed real chocolate into it instead.


Overall, this is a tasty spread from Sunpat and will surely be very popular. It's good on toast, crackers, rice cakes etc. and makes a nice change from regular peanut butter. I'm just a bit disappointed it doesn't contain actual chocolate.

Price: £1.79 at Asda.
Suitable for vegetarians?: Yes.
Ingredients: 58% peanuts, sugar, vegetable oils, cocoa powder (6.5%), sea salt, vanilla.
Allergy Advice: Produced in a factory that handles other nuts.
Nutritional Information (per 100g): 562 Calories, 38.6g Fat (7.5g Saturates), 33.7g Carbohydrates (26.7g Sugars), 16.9g Protein.

Comments

  1. I've seen this at Asda and really want to give it a go..shame it wasn't incredible. I'm always so jealous of all the spreads they get in America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm awesome, Mr Review Addict will love this! Do you remember Snickers spread? That stuff was epic and I have no idea why they stopped selling it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snickers spread?! Sounds awesome, when was it around?

      Delete
    2. About 7 or 8 years ago. Used to be able to get it in Tesco.

      Delete
  3. Hi mate. I've not tried it but Sainsbury's make this..."Sainsbury's Peanut Butter With Chocolate Chips 340g
    Save 59p was £1.59 now £1.00"

    So maybe head there to give it a try, especially as it's on offer at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eye out for it :)

      Delete
  4. That was a proper good review, i really could sense that you were excited, by this chocolate spread, but at the same time you were dissapointed, that it doesn't contain real chocolate. I might give the chocolate spread a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this & to be honest it tastes pretty much the same as when I melted dark choc, mixed it with peanut butter & spread it on crumpets. Why don't you make your own?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought this from tesco, it was on offer at £1.75 so was expecting deliciousness! Nah! Bitter, difficult to palate, not nutty. Back to sainsburys peanut butter with chocolate chips :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quite agree with the review, there is definently something missing! I wish we could get Gooba grape in our stores!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. has anyone heard of Lotus Biscoff Spread. Its meant to be the bees knees. but cant seem to find it anywhere. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zeenet Quraishi26 June 2014 at 07:17

      Its in Tesco priced at £1.50 - not sure how it would taste hence my hesitancy to try it! I'm assuming some sort of caramelly biscuit spread?

      Delete
  9. mine had plenty of oil on top when i opened the package, is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a fabulous treat for kids who can't eat dairy or soy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review. However, 'real chocolate' made me laugh... Your Real chocolate is made out of.... Drum rolls... Cocoa powder mostly. Milk chocolate has around 50% of cocoa powder in it and the rest is oil and sugar. This chocolate peanut butter was absolutely amazing. There wasn't anything nasty inside and it tasted really good. Shame it is discontinued now:(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review