NEW! Cadbury Dairy Milk Puddles: Smooth Mint & Smooth Hazelnut

cadbury dairy milk puddles smooth mint

Cadbury really are pumping out a lot of new products recently; they've just launched the new Oat Crunch bar, as well as the Marvellous Ice Creams range and some new Cadbury Fingers flavours. So I wasn't surprised when I spotted these Dairy Milk Puddles bars in Wilkinsons over Easter. Presumably Easter is a good time to launch new products to fill the gap left by Easter eggs?

The Puddles range comes in two flavours; Smooth Mint and Smooth Hazelnut. The bars consist of "puddle-shaped-blocks" containing soft fillings, each bar weighing 90g in total.

According to the press release, "The shape of the new tablet will reignite memories of childhood fun and carefree moments of jumping in puddles and will bring a light-hearted feeling to the category".

Well, I'm not so sure they reignited my memories of jumping in puddles, but they're definitely tasty bars of chocolate!

Dairy Milk Puddles Smooth Mint:
cadbury dairy milk puddles smooth mint
Dairy Milk Puddles Smooth Mint
The bars contain a thin base layer of chocolate with the curved "puddle blocks" on top, and a small indentation to break each one off. I must admit I was worried I'd end up with goo everywhere, but they broke off cleanly. I cut through a few pieces so you can see the filling:

cadbury dairy milk puddles smooth mint
Dairy Milk Puddles Smooth Mint
cadbury dairy milk puddles smooth mint
Dairy Milk Puddles Smooth Mint
I tried the Smooth Mint flavour first, which contains a soft mint filling. It was sweeter than the filling in Fry's Peppermint Creme, and more akin to a mint-flavoured caramel. It was very tasty, and I'm glad they went for a sweet mint filling as a stronger flavour would've clashed with the Dairy Milk chocolate. Overall the bar was very moreish, and the puddle-shaped blocks are definitely more fun than square blocks (something I never thought I'd hear myself say!) I think they might have converted me!

RATING: 8 out of 10. 

Dairy Milk Puddles Smooth Hazelnut:
cadbury dairy milk puddles smooth hazelnut

Next up I tried Smooth Hazelnut. Again I cut through a few blocks so you can see the filling:

Dairy Milk Puddles Smooth Hazelnut
Like the Smooth Mint the filling is very caramel-like, but I didn't think the flavour worked this time around; it's too sweet and the hazelnut is a tad artificial. I was hoping for something like Nutella but it was nothing like it. Overall this isn't a bar I would buy again...I think they should have gone with a strawberry flavour instead!

RATING: 7 out of 10. 

Overall:
Despite my skepticism over the "puddle blocks" on these bars I rather like the concept. They're unique and fun, and I would definitely buy the Mint variety again. I just hope they add more flavours to the range in future as I think there's a lot of potential there. Apparently Cadbury are replacing the "Dairy Milk Bubbly" range with these, so if you're a fan of them stock up while you can!

Price: £1.40 at Wilkinsons.
Suitable for vegetarians?: Yes.
Allergy Information: Contains dairy, nuts, soya.

Comments

  1. I don't think the whole Puddles brand will work. I think Cadbury Dairy Milk Fondants would sound better and more sophisticated. Although I like the sound of these, I think Mondelez are being too childish with the overall brand/design/packaging and they need to release more sophisticated bars like the now discontinued Dairy Milk Bliss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cadbury? Sophiscated? I don't think those words are compatible!

      The way I understand it, Cadbury's philosophy is to be associated with youthful fun, joyous, light-hearted carefree concepts and memories, exploiting a stated powerful link between chocolate and childhood. This is basically a rewording of the press release quoted above.

      (a) make products for adults to buy for their children - they'll grow up to be a customer later in life, and (b) make products that appeal to adults' nostalgia due to (a)

      Everything for people who never quite left childhood!

      Delete
    2. As a self-confessed big kid, have to say I agree with all of that! I do laugh at the nonsense they put in these press releases.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love Dairy Milk and will probably give these two a try if they are on special offer. Hazelnut would have been my preference so the lack of a decent nut based filling is disappointing.

    However, that said, I am getting a bit hacked off at their penny pinching. I see these bars are 90g for £1.40 which seems like a bit of a rip off. The concept is interesting but essentially its a filled chocolate bar with fewer than average pockets of filling. It just feels like they are adulterating the expensive dairy milk with every kind of cheaper additive to see what they can get away with. I do wish they'd stop devaluing their products in this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree...I was shocked at the price of these bars for the amount you get. I think they'll probably go down to £1 once they're properly launched.

      Delete
  3. There is an article about Puddles you may find interesting at http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/behind-new-cadbury-puddles-chocolate-5443471 (though strangely it says "In its first new launch for two years..." !)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad these are caramel-y, because I'd love a cream filled mint or hazelnut bar. Are they chewy or just liquidy though? Because chewy I can't even do at all anymore, really. :( Cool news regardless, nice spot to find it so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're more liquidy than chewy, kinda sticky.

      Delete
  5. Would've been even better with Bournville as dark choc goes with mint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we already have Fry's Peppermint Creme for that :)

      Delete
  6. Thats too bad, i like the dairy milk bubbly bars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrible replacement for the Bubbles bars. I love hazelnut flavouring but the Hazelnut Puddles bar might just be the worst Cadbury product I've ever tasted. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW DARE YOU CRITICISE THIS BEAUTIFUL HEAVENLY BAR!! MANY PEOPLE HAVE WORKED VERY HARD ON MINIMUM WAGE TO BRING THIS BAR TO YOU!! HOW DARE YOU!! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!!!1!!!!!!!
      dissapointed :(

      Delete
  8. Tried the Hazelnut puddle bar.. it was 'Meh'
    Unlikely to recommend.
    Half the size of a Dairy Milk bar.
    Not worth the cost & scrapping the barrel from a 'creative' point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was given a sample of the Mint one by our Cadbury rep and it tasted sweet but deliciously minty. Don't think they are worth £1.40+ mind. Bit concerned about the lack of info on Cocoa Solids too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These Puddles are presumably Milka Choqsplash in a Cadbury's wrapper....they taste exactly the same to me at least.
    https://www.milka.de/Produkte/milka-tafeln-100g/Milka%20Chocsplash%20%C3%A0%20la%20Haselnuss?p=7217&provider=D193998A-4A6D-4EA5-BAA8-209357B27A09&categoryId=1395

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had the hazelnut one - revolting. I wont try the mint one now, although I suspect it will be a bit tastier, but the hazelnut one is beyond foul. I feel sick thinking about it. Then there's the shape - an obvious cost-cutting exercise dressed up as a quirky idea. It's obvious it's all about reducing the amount of cocoa.

    Please for heaven's sake just sell the brand, Kraft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I disagree hazelnut my favourite although I only paid 39 pence for mine at home bargains couldn't justify paying 1.40.!! Far to expensive

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great article with well-scripted, engaging content that is full of original and sensible views. Much of your informative content is in line with my way of thinking.
    ikea godis

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are excited to introduce two new Cadbury Dairy Milk Puddles: Smooth Mint and Smooth Hazelnut. Both flavors are made with real Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate and are perfect for any occasion. The mint puddle is refreshing and smooth, while the hazelnut puddle is rich and creamy. Order now and enjoy these delicious new flavors!

    Thank you chocolate delivery manila

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review