Aldi's Choceur Rum Raisin & Nut Bar Review


After hearing about how good Aldi's chocolates supposedly are I thought I'd give one a go this weekend and see what all the fuss is about. I've tried their Moser Roth range before and really enjoyed it, but this time I was tempted by this Rum & Raisin bar from their Choceur range. It's described as "Smooth milk chocolate with rum, raisins and hazelnuts".

Rum and Raisin chocolates are quite hard to find these days - Cadbury's no longer make Old Jamaica, or at least I haven't seen it in years. I was hoping this would be a worthy replacement, but unfortunately it was pretty poor as rum flavoured chocolates go.

In a nutsehll, it tasted cheap and sugary. It comes in quite thick blocks (no pic I'm afraid), and after eating a piece I found myself eating a few more just to try and get a "taste" of something... anything! But it turned out there was no real taste to the bar at all...it just tasted of sugar and milk! There were some raisins and chopped nuts scattered throughout the chocolate adding a bit of texture, but no real flavour to speak of. There was only a slight artificial tang of rum, but it was very hard to detect.

Overall, an overly sweet and disappointing bar of chocolate. I won't be bothering with Aldi's Choceur range again after this...I'll stick to their Moser Roth stuff instead which is usually pretty good.

Price: £1.19 per 200g bar.
Suitable for vegetarians?: Yes.

RATING: 4 out of 10.

Comments

  1. Totally disagree on all counts , very flavoursome, very rummy and very addictive. I'm afraid it may contribute to making me fat !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree too, I wonder if there are inconsistencies. There is so much flavour in the bar I have it is not pleasant. It tastes artificial and a bit plasticy or something. I think I may end up throwing it away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was disappointed in this rum and raisin flavour also, as I love Cadbury Old Jamaica but Aldi's Choceur tasted of fake rum. I won't be eating it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bournville do a rum and raisin chocolate now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree I could not eat , had a cheap harsh alcohol taste. Can't believe this passed any kind of quality standards. I'm going to throw it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can still get the Cadburys Rum n Raisin in Australia, I know a long way to go but I stocked up with about 10 bars on a recent trip, anyway being down to my last bar I decided to try this one from Aldi and I have to say it is not as good as the Cadburys original but it will do until I stock up again, interesting the Rum content 2.5% is actually higher than the 1% Cadburys content

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review