Coca Cola Life (UK) - Guest Review by William


Hello everyone! It's me William from “William's Blog” and before any of you think I've hacked into Kev's Snack Reviews I haven't. Myself and Kev have been talking quite a lot over on Twitter recently and he asked me if I'd like to write guest reviews on his blog and I could not possibly refuse! I'm still unsure how often I'll be writing on here as it is yet to be discussed but I hope you enjoy my upcoming reviews. Before I ramble on, let's get straight to the review...

Coca-Cola GB announced back in June the launch of “Coca-Cola Life”, a lower calorie soft drink sweetened from natural sources with a third less sugar than the original Coca-Cola. This is the first new Coke to be launched in the UK since the arrival of Coke Zero in 2006 and to be quite honest, I really don't see what the big deal is?


It's essentially Coke with a little less sugar and a fancy new green label. The packaging is visually appealing and very eye catching on the shelf though. Taste-wise, it's only very slightly different to the original Coke; it has a more fresh taste with a few minty notes. What I like best about this cola is that it isn't as overwhelmingly sweet like the original Coke, it has quite a mild sweetness. This cola beverage is for the sort of people that want the great taste of the original Coke but don't want to be consuming as much sugar. But overall, I am quite disappointed with Coca-Cola Life as it's not enormously different to the other Coke brands although it's a nice new addition to the Coke range and I'm sure over the next few months this will become quite popular.

Since trying Coca-Cola Zero Raspberry from the Coke machines in Burger King I've been wanting Coke to launch it in bottles!? Now that's something I'd like to see! I just think there needs to be more flavour variants of Coke on the shelves like Cinnamon, Peppermint, Blueberry or even Pineapple? Coke Life is available now and it is currently sold in 500ml bottles, 330ml cans, 1.75l bottles and 330ml can multipacks.

If you would like to see more posts from me, head over to my blog abitofwilliam.blogspot.co.uk, but otherwise, I'll still be writing guest snack reviews on here every now and then!

RATING: 6.5 out of 10.

From: Morrisons Local.
Price: £1.25.
Recommend?: Not really, unless you want a lower calorie Coke that isn't completely sugar free.

TWITTER: @abitofwilliam
FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/abitofwilliam
BLOG: www.abitofwilliam.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

  1. i tried Life and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi william!
    Thanks for the review. I think you may be slightly missing the point of Coke Green. It's not just the fact it has less sugar. The selling point is is that it's made with natural ingredients rather than sweeteners such as aspartame. It's made with a plant extract meaning it doesn't contain either refined sugar (like the red coke) or chemical sugars (like coke zero and diet coke). Because people are very concerned about the impact of chemical sugars on health, I think this coke will sell well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lellytalks, although I agree on some points, the problem I see with Coca Cola Life is that it contains refined sugar as well as stevia, so it's neither here nor there. They should have just used stevia and zero sugar IMO.

      Delete
  3. Whats wrong with redefining old norm that is make "here" more healthier albeit thru brand extension! I like the taste of red coke and i don't like diet. what i don't like in red coke is too much sugar and i don't drink it that often, Coke Life seems to be good tasting lower calorie solution at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may like it, but I'm thinking in terms of whether or not this coke will stick around. I just don't see much of a market for it. If it were made with just stevia, then maybe.

      Delete
  4. Tastes oily to me. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You saying: 'You may like it, but I'm thinking in terms of whether or not this coke will stick around' sounds slightly condescending, who made you an expert? Just be pleased coke life is real and not a prank. Kev A you dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending, I'm no expert but I do know a fair bit about how the food industry works. I just don't see why they couldn't make this with all stevia and no sugar, then it would be truly healthy. Sugar is addictive so people aren't really going to get much benefit from this when it still contains sugar. It's still unhealthy, and whilst it may reduce the calories a bit it's not going to be enough in the longterm.

      Delete
    2. Coca Cola is not known for keeping products that don't sell especially well or snag a share of some other brand's market. That's a fair comment.

      I'm fairly sure it'll either be phased out itself or might replace diet coke entirely over the next year, depending on wether current diet coke/pepsi regulars switch or not. I really can't see them maintaining four or more types of Coca Cola in stores in the long-term.

      The appeal to those that enjoy full-fat coke is probably pretty small.

      Delete
  6. It's strange, to me it tastes almost like nothing much at all, just very faintly sweet sparkling water. It seems to have no Cola flavour. If it was unlabelled I would never have guessed it even was supposed to have something to do with Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tastes like... Pepsi :'(

    ReplyDelete
  8. does anybody know is it suitable for us diabetics?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it contains still 66% of your normal Coke's sugar, so within the limits that you have with normal coke. I guess you could say, you can now drink 50% more and still have some sugar intake.

      Delete
  9. "This is the first new Coke to be launched in the UK since the arrival of Coke Zero in 2006 [...]"
    Hm, does nobody remember that short-lived "Diet Coke Plus" from around 2007 or '08? Basically Diet Coke with vitamins and green tea extracts, although I feel like you'd probably have been better off just drinking a cup of green tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only just noticed this in my local stores (UK) recently.

    Figuring anything is better than the chemical-spill aftertaste of diet coke/pepsi/anything, I snagged one to try it.

    The flavour seems to be very subjective since everyone of my buds that's tried it seems to think of something different - mint never came up for us. The only agreement is that it's less sweet, more neutral but mostly the same like your review.

    Worth a grab to try imo.

    Pecking order is still Dr. Pepper > Cherry Coke > Sprite > Coke though. ;D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review